View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
What the hell, guys? 

Post Re: What the hell, guys?
Yesterday, Blizzard opened their site for Diablo 3. Quantity and quality of content is really astonishing, but as you can see, there are a lot similar visual fantasy concepts was used. Two-tailed comet in the trailer, warrior in the horned armor of Chaos, Beastmen, Minas Tirith, Nurgle – like demon sphere, and much more.
On the over hand – we have Warhammer On-line – as a pretty bad copy of WoW, which was made using technologies, expired fifth years ago. I see no similarities between Warhammer On-line and FbC in visual content, even more, they are on pretty different levels of models and visual quality.
Diablo 3, in spite of some similarities, is really impressing, and looks like a unique game. I hope, FbC creators can come up with something unique, even using trivial theme. I think what present market laws quite hard – it much easier to sell something familiar to the consumer, then to successfully bring at the market something new.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:12 am

Location: Cedar Rapids, IA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Unknown dimensional Frequency
Nobody is really saying there are similarities between warhammer online and FoC (yay new acronym!) There ARE similarities between FoC and the table top minitures version of warhammer, the warhammer that all other warhammer games are based off of (ie. the original IP>) However warhammer also takes its ideas from many other things as well such as Lord of the Rigns, so you can say there isn't really much of anything original anymore.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:47 am

Death_Grin, FoC is kinda bad acronym... xD FbC is quite better.... FoC just sounds like other thing, if you know what i mean... Btw i agree with you in the part that there isn't a lot of things original anymore... I actually can only think of a thing or two that haven't been aborded in games, or have been, but i haven't heard of it... Chaos warrior, elfs, gnomes, giants, etc... everything was in other games, so there isn't anything original. At the same time it, using these characters, isn't unoriginal, as the story will surely be quite different!

Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:46 pm

LEVIATHAN wrote:
Yesterday, Blizzard opened their site for Diablo 3. Quantity and quality of content is really astonishing, but as you can see, there are a lot similar visual fantasy concepts was used. Two-tailed comet in the trailer, warrior in the horned armor of Chaos, Beastmen, Minas Tirith, Nurgle – like demon sphere, and much more.
On the over hand – we have Warhammer On-line – as a pretty bad copy of WoW, which was made using technologies, expired fifth years ago. I see no similarities between Warhammer On-line and FbC in visual content, even more, they are on pretty different levels of models and visual quality.
Diablo 3, in spite of some similarities, is really impressing, and looks like a unique game. I hope, FbC creators can come up with something unique, even using trivial theme. I think what present market laws quite hard – it much easier to sell something familiar to the consumer, then to successfully bring at the market something new.

What the hell does Warhammer Online has anything to do with this? A copy of WoW? Should do some more research before posting, mate.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:43 pm

Location: Cedar Rapids, IA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Unknown dimensional Frequency
He is trying to compare the two because the point was brought up that the two are similiar. However he misunderstood that the point being made here is not that they are similiar graphicly or gameplay wise but artistcily similiar, while due to either coincidence or because they follow similiar themes it does not matter.

Overall the bottom line was a point I made in another thread. FbC devs should come up with something more unique to the theme so it doesn't seem alike so much.
If you still can not grasp that there is a similarity then I shall post a few images comparing them.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:54 pm

Death_Grin wrote:
He is trying to compare the two because the point was brought up that the two are similiar. However he misunderstood that the point being made here is not that they are similiar graphicly or gameplay wise but artistcily similiar, while due to either coincidence or because they follow similiar themes it does not matter.

Overall the bottom line was a point I made in another thread. FbC devs should come up with something more unique to the theme so it doesn't seem alike so much.
If you still can not grasp that there is a similarity then I shall post a few images comparing them.

Of course I know that there are similarities between this game and the warhammer IP, that's why I said that warhammer online has nothing to do with this. This thread's about similarities between the original warhammer IP, not the warhammer online game. Thus his point about Warhammer Online is a copy from WoW really doesn't have anything in this discussion, unless he thinks that warhammer world is created recently by Mythic as a copy of WoW.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:59 am

Oh haha, I think we are arguing the same point :lol:

I think its kind of sad that this is the longest thread in here because I doubt it will help make FbC any better, being that the art looks awesome either way. I say end this pointless thread and lets do something constructive! Maybe like how FbC could be more unique or gameplay ideas.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:12 am

Death_Grin wrote:
Oh haha, I think we are arguing the same point :lol:

I think its kind of sad that this is the longest thread in here because I doubt it will help make FbC any better, being that the art looks awesome either way. I say end this pointless thread and lets do something constructive! Maybe like how FbC could be more unique or gameplay ideas.

I know, that's why I was explaining my intention to you. Actually, I like the look of this game as it is, since I'm a big warhammer maniac, so stuff like this is just more warhammer for me in a way. 8-)

Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:59 am

I'm an artist and a game developer, and I registered just so I could say this.

There is no argument. You are stealing conceptual and visual material directly from Games Workshop sources. It's not about inspiration, it's not about where they got their ideas or where you got your ideas no matter how much you try to convince yourselves otherwise. You're entitled to do whatever you want with a fantasy game, but this is theft of intellectual property. GW are rabid about protecting their IP and as soon as their legal department becomes aware of the situation I imagine they'll burn you to the ground - 'shared inspiration' is not even a remotely viable legal defense.

Companies like this are what's wrong with this industry. I'm not defending Games Workshop, I'm opposing you for this disgusting and brazen theft of someone else's hard work and effort. It's not that hard to come up with new ideas for art or games - any decent artist or gamer has dozens every day - but you couldn't even be bothered with that much effort. You're not artists, you're thieving criminals. You make me ashamed to be an artist and a game developer. You're tainting the image of artists and game studios everywhere and I'm just glad for their sake that you're a tiny little backwater studio that noone's ever heard of, or ever will. You should damn well be ashamed of yourselves.

Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:22 am
Panzar Studio

conrongcon wrote:
You make me ashamed to be an artist and a game developer.

Complain to Games Workshop! :lol:

Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next