View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
What the hell, guys? 

Post Re: What the hell, guys?
While the Chaos warrior artwork here does resemble GW's Chaos warrior , there are some differences and that's enough to not any copyright infringements.
But then again let's look at fantasy games in the last decade for example , we have so many creatures that resemble each other in so many games , hell , we even have perfect game clones yet they are still on the market (well , probably).
Sure as we can see some people don't like this resemblence , and maybe they will tune their warriors more to create a more unique chaos warrior (the name is not trademarked , how can it?), something that wont strike warhammer into the eyes of people , but the attraction of this game will be a visually stunning ( or so we are beeing told) multi-player experience , and here we have something that doesn't compare to any other warhammer game to date or in course of apparition ( WaR ). We still have GW's tabletop games , but unless we start seeing empire / elves / dwarf similarities next , i really don't think there should be a problem.
Time will tell.

Last edited by Dwel on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:41 pm

Dwel wrote:
While de Chaos warrior artwork here does resemble GW's Chaos warrior , there are some differences and that's enough to not any copyright infringements.

So true! But if it's to similar, people will think of the game as a cheap imitation and that is not good.

But I'm sure that the artwork shown at the website is just the begining of a huge game, that in a few years will be the today's World of Warcraft!

Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:13 am

SouL wrote:

So true! But if it's to similar, people will think of the game as a cheap imitation and that is not good.

But I'm sure that the artwork shown at the website is just the begining of a huge game, that in a few years will be the today's World of Warcraft!

Multi-player game =/= MMORPG , uhh , no point in comparing it with WoW ; besides nothing will break it's position on the market too soon.

Last edited by Dwel on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:39 am

Location: Cedar Rapids, IA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Unknown dimensional Frequency
I agree that there is a strong resemblance as far as the chaos warrior and parts of the story goes. However the chaos warrior design really isn't that unique anyways, although still cool. And we can argue on about the chaos symbology present in the design. However I don't think you can say their outright copying warhammer, having molded armor isn't really only used by Games Workshop. The art style has been present for awhile including in many comic books before warhammer and I remember a few similiar drawings in one of the Dungeons and Dragons manuals. However, that doesn't mean people will see it otherwise and I think many will still see it as a rip off so I think the developers should come up with something unique. Even something as simple as removing the banner mast from the back of the warrior and adding a cape will change the look a bit.

Plus it sounds like you won't start off looking this way anyway. You'll have to gain more and better gear as you go on so I would imagine you won't have a lot to begin with.

Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:30 pm
Official FBC fan

Let's wait till we see more of the 'forged by chaos' world and lore before we jump to conclusions eh?

Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:15 pm

Dwel wrote:
Multi-player game =/= MMORPG , uhh , no point in comparing it with WoW ; besides nothing will break it's position on the market too soon.

Multi-player game can be MMORPG too... and that's what im hoping xD or some kind of FPS with MMORPG style...

Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:40 pm

Location: Cedar Rapids, IA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Unknown dimensional Frequency
Well they said in the first developer diary that it will be 32v32 battles so thats hardly MMO. Think BF2 with a persistant charachter with more options and stuff!

Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:51 pm

Death_Grin wrote:
Well they said in the first developer diary that it will be 32v32 battles so thats hardly MMO. Think BF2 with a persistant charachter with more options and stuff!

Ariorh wrote:
"...Forged by Chaos is a multiplayer game up to 32 players per session with 3rd person camera 360 degrees. You will control your character as in a usual slasher style game.The game design is oriented for a group tactics and contains different scenario game types - "Siege", "Important Person", "One vs darkness" etc..."

Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:28 am

The dev diary says "huge interactive world, NPCs, solo and team quests, along with integrated deathmatch-like battles (up to 32 by 32 players)." So I guess we will have to wait for a confirmation on which it is.

Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:32 am

Interestingly, the chaos models and story of the game surfaced on Panzar website about 4 years ago (2004), and there's a link to warhammer online game (the old one made by Climax, not the new one that is coming out made by EA Mythic) at the bottom of the website as related links. However, when the warhammer online game was canceled, panzar website also went inactive for 3 years until the end of 2007. So this game must at least legally related to warhammer somehow in the past, since they put the link of warhammer online official website on their own site.

I have a theory that maybe the Panzar studio was involved with the old warhammer online project. However, since the old project was canceled with the disagreement between GW and Climax, Panzar went on to shake hands with Crytek to make a new game.

As for whether this is an infringement, then GW definitely will take legal action, since we know how they are very protective of their IP. In the panzar website, it said they acquired license, so maybe that included getting a license from GW, who knows. We just have to wait and see how it all will develop.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next